The Expert panel for curriculum review has been sitting for some while now (since the ‘Importance of Teaching’ white paper in 2010). The aim (you’ll remember) was to ‘slim down’ the National Curriculum.
The thinking so far (as I understand it) is that there may be 3 broad categories of subject:
- Core – Compulsory for all, formal assessment, league tables.
- Foundation – Program of study and attainment targets – condensed. Not compulsory for all
- Basic – no program of Study. No attainment targets
Schools would be expected to offer all subjects and most pupils would follow a broad choice.
It’s important to stress that there is no decision so far but here is the picture that is emerging for KS3 and 4:
- Core – Maths English and Science
- Foundation – Art, Music,(both KS3 only), Geography, History MFL, PE
- Basic – Citizenship, ICT, D&T, ‘The Arts’.