I always find it difficult to get my students into real environments, a trip is always possible but there are lots of logistical problems and always too many pupils. I stumbled over the Excellence Gateway site recently and found lots of really useful material tucked away. The site is designed for post 16 students but the resources (as usual) can be used lots of different ways.
Some examples (all include teacher support material, worksheets etc):
- audio clips of people trying to give IT support over the phone
- The Interview panel (Stereotyping, evaluation)
- Hard Rock Cafe case study (how Cisco implemented a content management system)
- IT in the emergency services (ambulance – call centre and dispatch)
- IT at the Met Office
- IT at the LSO (great for PLTSs)
- Media COntent packager has some interesting clips on ICT
Some really useful, sensible stuff here (especially related to KS4, Functional Skills and Diplomas (of all sorts)) – The Excellence Gateway is well worth a look.