Microsoft have launched a series of self study units that they call Digital Literacy. The 5 topics are:
* Computer Basics
* The Internet and the World Wide Web
* Productivity Programs
* Computer Security
* Privacy and Digital Lifestyles
It’s suggested that the units take about 3 hours each, there is an online assessment system etc. Naturally MS based. It didn’t work very well for me so I can’t comment too much. Here is a sample question from the Digital Literacy section:
How can you prevent others from accessing data on your stand-alone computer?
- Install a spyware program and an antivirus program.
- Use a user name and password.
- Back up data and save it in a different location.
- Use an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) and a surge protector.
There may be some gems there though. Or maybe just use the assessment units so pupils can get an idea where they are with different aspects – maybe a homework task for Some?