Should you reject a friend on MySpace?
How do you ward off an [old flame] on Facebook?
Have no fear. Britain’s etiquette bible has come to the rescue for social networkers who are at a loss about how to behave with online decorum…
The golden rules compiled by Debrett’s are:
- You don’t have to make friends with people you don’t know. Think before you poke.
- Wait 24 hours before accepting or removing someone as a friend. The delay will help you gather your thoughts.
- Birthdays, engagements and weddings are not “virtual” events. Always send cards or phone friends when there is an important event.
- Think before posting a friend’s photo what you would feel like if it was you.
- Think carefully about your profile picture. Would you want it to be appearing in your local newspaper?